One in every 20 patients gets an infection while being treated at a hospital. In a world where the influenza virus can survive on a doorknob for up to two hours, Sealed Air on its patented Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide (Oxivir) products…
To re-imagining sustainable solutions for infection prevention, kitchen hygiene and building care, Sealed Air focuses on three areas:
- Science of Clean: When developing cleaning technologies, it is important to understand the balance needed between the safety during use and efficacy for sanitation and infection control.
- Delivering Hygiene: From laundry to ware washing to sanitizing building surfaces, the company pioneered innovations in dosing, dispensing, tools, and equipment that work with its proprietary cleaning chemistries.
- Smart Environments: This is to ensure healthy, clean environments for their businesses and their customers, helping workers understand the role of hand washing in preventing disease, training proper sanitation monitoring, or providing analytical tools to maximize labor productivity.
The customers count on results while cutting polluting emissions, decreasing water and energy usage, and optimizing labour. This helps them safeguard their businesses, deliver superior products and services, and protect and enhance the equity of their brands.
Cleaning and disinfecting hard surfaces is critical to reducing the incidence of Healthcare Acquired Infections (HAIs). HAIs are a growing problem across the globe, one person dies every six minutes from an HAI. Government regulators and insurers are looking more closely at healthcare infections and making reimbursement decisions, which affect a facility’s bottom line, based on whether the infection was contracted while a patient was at the facility. The challenge for a healthcare facility is to adopt an environmental sanitation program –including products, protocols (processes/ procedures) and equipment – that ensures compliance in an increasingly complex, fast-paced environment. Maintaining compliance means that disinfectants are used according to label directions. Using Oxivir cleaner disinfectants adds confidence that the product is being used in compliance with label directions and breaking the chain of infection. Awareness of the need for proper environmental sanitation is rising in schools, colleges, universities, health clubs, and fitness centers. Pathogens usually associated with healthcare facilities, such as MRSA, are now being seen more widely in these non-healthcare facilities. Today all facilities need an effective environmental sanitation program to prevent infections.
Selection of the Right Disinfectant
The selection of the right disinfectant is one of the two essential components for effective disinfection. The other relates to the proper training and use of disinfectants, and the adherence to manufacturer’s label instructions. The combination is effective for surface disinfection, and can reduce patient risk and improve patient outcomes. There are five key criteria that should be used when evaluating disinfectant products today.
- Kills a broad spectrum of healthcare-associated pathogens
- Fast kill and acceptable wet-contact times for proper disinfection
- Non-toxic to users, patients, visitors and surfaces
- Easy-to-use, in multiple, “accessible formats to ensure compliance”
- Effective implementation and ongoing manufacturer support
Disinfection and compliance
A key part of an effective environmental sanitation program is disinfection. Other disinfectants may fall short in one of the four key areas: cleaning ability, surface safety or environmental concerns. AHP® technology, which uses hydrogen peroxide as its active ingredient, was developed to meet concerns in these four key areas. AHP technology is a patented technology that is a synergistic blend of commonly used cleaning ingredients and hydrogen peroxide, which provides better cleaning on hard surfaces. For example, Oxivir® Tb, contains 0.5% hydrogen peroxide and needs only 1 minute to kill Poliovirus Type 1.
Oxivir Tb is a hospital-grade disinfectant that disinfects hard, non-porous surfaces in just 60 seconds.
Oxivir Tb Wipes are hospital-grade disinfectant wipes that disinfect hard, non-porous surfaces in just 60 seconds.
These products kill a wide variety of organisms of concern including Norovirus, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and the drug resistant organisms MRSA and VRE. Tb has a five minute contact time. The 60-second contact time and broad-spectrum activity means that infection control professionals can be confident that they can use the disinfectant properly.