- Many shade fabrics are specially treated to repel dust and dirt.
- Aluminum horizontal blinds are treated with an anti-static paint additive that inhibits dust build-up. It is extremely important to clean your blinds from time to time.
Recommended Cleaning Methods
Vacuuming: For deeper cleaning, vacuum gently with the brush attachment of any vacuum cleaner.Most products may be vacuumed using a vertical stroke.
Spot-cleaning: Spot-clean shades and blinds with soft cloth or sponge moistened with lukewarm water. Add mild detergent if needed. Blot gently to avoid creasing or damaging the fabric. Rubbing can damage fabrics. Spot-cleaning may result in cleaner areas.
Treatments for Different Blinds
Stain-finished wood blinds: Water may damage the surface, so use lemon oil or wood preservative to clean.
Aluminum horizontal blinds: Use an over-the-counter blind cleaner with a soft cloth.
Vinyl and aluminum vertical blinds: Reduce build-up of static electricity by applying a very thin film of detergent on all slats and vanes.
Bathtub cleaning/water immersion: This method is used for alternative wood blinds and Shapes, aluminum horizontal blinds and most, but not all honeycomb fabrics.
- Immerse the entire shade assembly in lukewarm water with mild detergent. Wash for five minutes by gently moving liquid around with your fingers.
- Rinse with clear water.
- Close the shade before removing from rinse water.
- Hold rails and tilt the shade to allow excess water to drain off.
- Re-install the damp shade into window opening.
- ower the shade all the way to allow it to dry completely.
Care & Cleaning Helpful Hints
PVC, Faux Wood or Vinyl Products
- To reduce static cling and help repel dust, wipe the product with dryer sheets.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners or chemical solvents, as they will scratch or damage the surface.Wood Products
- Clean using a dry and soft feather duster, clean cloth, dust cloth or dusting mitt. A vacuum with the soft brush attachment can also be utilized.
- Ultrasonic cleaning or use of chemical solvents and scrubbing cleansers are not recommended. They will damage the product.
- Protect all fine wood products from exposure to steam or high moisture areas, rain or outside irrigation systems to ensure their long life.
- When cleaning any window, spray glass cleaner on a cloth rather than spraying directly on the window. This will prevent damage to the wood finish by splattering cleaner.
- Spot-cleaning with fabric cleaning wipes found at your grocery store is recommended for all tapes. These will typically not leave a stain or discolor the tapes. We suggest a cleaning test on the underneath side of the blind where the tape wraps around the bottom rail where any stain would be the least visible.
- 100% polyester tapes can be spot-cleaned with cool distilled water using a clean white cloth. Support the trim from behind using another clean cloth that is dry. Use a gentle blotting action to clean the spot or soiled area. Rinse by blotting with clean distilled water. Let air dry. A gentle detergent can also be used on the 100% polyester trims. Spot-cleaning may result in cleaner areas.