Diwali, the festival of lights, is synonymous with celebration, prosperity, and, of course, the revival of our cherished ethnic wear. Amidst the festive hustle, garment care can become an afterthought, yet it is crucial for preserving the splendour of our traditional attire. Rishi Rathod, Founder & CEO of WeClean, shares his expertise on maintaining our festive attire amidst the celebratory bustle.
Here are his five indispensable garment care tips to ensure your festive wardrobe is Diwali-ready without the fuss.
- Wardrobe Detox: Begin with a thorough cleanse of your wardrobe. Dusting and wiping down the interiors can prevent your garments from musty odours or dust mites. Organise your attire neatly, and consider donating items that no longer serve you. This not only declutters your space but also embodies the spirit of Diwali by sharing joy with others.
- Pre-Planning: Anticipate your Diwali attire and keep it clean by avoiding premature wear. When transporting, safeguard your garments with a protective cover to fend off dust and creases.
- Mindful Wearing: If you choose to don your outfit before the main event, steer clear of potential stains. Be vigilant of your dining choices and surroundings to keep your attire spotless.
- Label Literacy: Should your garments require a pre-Diwali freshen-up, heed the care label’s counsel. Address stains promptly with a suitable stain remover to prevent them from setting in. For washing, employ a net bag to shield your clothes from the rigours of the machine.
- Grooming Tools: A lint roller and fabric shaver are your allies in maintaining a polished look. They swiftly eliminate pet hair and fabric pills, ensuring your outfit remains impeccable.
For high-maintenance fabrics, entrust your attire to a professional dry cleaner. Home remedies may be tempting but could prove detrimental to delicate materials. A professional’s expertise is invaluable in preserving the integrity of your festive wear.
Understanding Garment Care:
In today’s fashion-conscious era, consumers prefer entrusting their cherished garments to reputable laundries. The shift towards branded and digital laundry services is evident, especially in urban households where time is a luxury. These services offer transparency, customisation, and convenience, aligning with the fast-paced lifestyle of modern consumers.
Dry Cleaning vs. Regular Washing:
It is essential to discern between dry cleaning and regular washing. Dry cleaning involves specific procedures like spot treatment and solvent-based cleaning, which are gentle on fabrics and prevent colour bleeding. In contrast, regular washing is water-based and can be harsher on certain materials.
Common mistakes in Garment Care:
Avoid overuse of detergent, which can trap dirt in fabric. Delicate clothes should never meet hot water, which can lead to shrinkage and colour bleeding. While washing clothes inside out can protect them, be cautious with embellished items. Opt for colour-safe bleach over traditional bleach for coloured garments, and prevent fabric damage by not over-drying.
This Diwali, let the cleanliness of your attire reflect the festival’s essence. With these simple yet effective tips, you can ensure your garments are as radiant as the Diwali lights.